Is It Safe To Clean Up Excess Water After Flood Damage?
Mississauga Homeowners Keen To Save Their Belongings After Flood Damage.
Residents of Mississauga know that living near Lake Ontario means facing storms sometimes. Although storms in this area are not exceptionally violent, they are still capable of damaging property.
When a storm comes to Mississauga, flood damage sometimes follows on its heels. Residents might be dealing with flooded basements, water-logged floors, or puddles pouring in through damaged doors or windows.
Is It Safe For Me To Start Mopping Up Excess Water?
Our customers often ask us if it is safe to start mopping up excess water while waiting for us. Here are tips to help you manage the situation while staying safe.
What Are Some Things I Can Do While Waiting For SERVPRO?
While you are waiting, you can:
- Blot away excess water from floors and wooden furniture using cloths and mops
- Remove wet seat cushions from sofas and chairs, and prop them up so air can circulate them
- Put aluminum foil between furniture legs and wet carpets to prevent rust spots
- Gather up loose items from wet floors and move them to a drier spot
What Are Some Things I Should Not Do?
Please do not:
- Attempt any wiping or removal of items if you suspect the floodwater could contain sewage or dangerous chemicals
- Attempt to dry or use any electrical items
- Turn on ceiling fans unless you are entirely sure the ceiling is dry and secure
- Scrub or rub fabrics such as rugs, drapes, or upholstery
- Use a household vacuum or any other electrical device to remove water or dry the area
Only clean up water when it is safe for you to do so, and never enter a room with a sagging ceiling.
What Will SERVPRO Do About Excess Water?
We equip our technicians with free-standing and truck-mounted pumps, carpet wands, and extractors to get excess water off the floor and out carpets and pads. We can also take care of cleaning up water stains on soft furnishings, and we use both wet and dry cleaning to restore your personal belongings. Finally, we deodorize afterward to rid your home of the damp smell.
For help with flood damage, call SERVPRO of North Mississauga at (905) 238-7376.